It’s been a while since we bought our last computer at home. Actually about 6 years. So I finally took the plunge and bought a new one. Now for those of you who know me, you know that I fix everyone else’s computers all the time, but I really never spend any money on my own. It helps that I have a pretty cool laptop for work. I have been watching the discount coupon site GotApex and I found this deal on Monday. A new Compaq computer for $399 shipped free from CompUSA. AMD 64 3800+, 1 Gig of Ram, 250 Gig Hard Drive with a Dual Layer DVD, and GeForce Graphics. It’s in the mail, so any day now, I’ll get to play with a new computer. This things blows my last computer away and its $1400 cheaper.
Here in order are all the computers I have owned. I have to reminisce a little about these old ones. They have served me well.
- Atari 800XL: I learned to type and program in basic on this ancient thing. It had 64 Kb of Ram (notice I said KB, not MB) and a cartridge slot. I even had the cassette tape recorder that hooked up to it and acted as a disk drive. Eventually, they started making a 5 1/4″ floppy drive that I used with it. I think my mom finally sold it at a yard sale a few years ago.
- A Portable Computer: This computer was a 286, 10Mhz computer with a 7″ monochrome screen. It weighed about 40 pounds. It had a 20 Meg Hard Drive and a floppy drive built in.
- When I started college (in 1991), I got a Gateway 486. This thing was sweet at the time and it cost over $2500. It had a huge 40 Meg Hard Drive and a CGA Graphics Card. We had to run CAD programs for engineering, so all my buddies were always coming over to my dorm to use my computer. It also came with Windows 2.0, which really sucked at the time. I mainly used Wordperfect 5.1 and Lotus 1-2-3.
- After I graduated and got married, we bought another Gateway. This time it was Pentium 166 MMX. It had a 4 Gig hard drive and a 3 1/2″ floppy.
- Back in 2000, we bought a gaming computer from Hypersonic. It was an Athlon 1200 with Geforce 2 Graphics and a 40 Gig Hard Drive.
- And finally now, this Compaq with a 250 Gig Hard Drive (which is 5000 times bigger than the first hard drive I had)