Leadership Quotes from Colin Powell
I read these quotes on Dave Ferguson’s Blog. I am really being stretched right now as a leader. In some ways I have been a reluctant leader. I have never really thought of myself as a great leader, but starting in college, people around me started looking to me for leadership. So as God has led me on a journey into the ministry, I have had to learn more and more about leadership. I have to admit that at times it has been uncomfortable as God has shaped me and equipped me to fulfill my calling, but it has definitely been worth it.
Colin Powell spoke at the Leadership Summitt at Willow and had some great insights into leadership. Below are the main points. Click here to read how he applied each principle. The first few principles really resonate with me. See what you think.
GREAT LEADERSHIP WILL BE HARD “Endure hardship…” (II Timothy 2:3)
- Powell Principle: Prepare To Be Lonely
- Powell Principle: Be Prepared to Disappoint People
- Powell Principle: Check Your Ego At the Door
- Powell Principle: Reward Your Best Performers; Get Rid of Your Worst Performers.
GREAT LEADERSHIP IS ABOUT THE FOLLOWERS “No one serving as a soldier gets involved in civilian affairs…” (II Timothy 2:4)
- Powell Principles: Only People Get Things Done
- Powell Principle: Leaders Promote A Clash of Ideas
- Powell Principle: Maintain An Open Door
- Powell Principle: Probe The Organization
GREAT LEADERSHIP ALWAYS HAS A GREATER MOTIVATION “…he wants to please his commanding officer.” (II Timothy 2:4)
- Powell Principle: Perpetual Optimism Is A Force Multiplier
- Powell Principle: Things Always Look Better In The Morning
- Powell Principle: Fit No Stereotypes