Mevo – A New Cheap Solution for Recording and Livestreaming
UPDATE: Since this post was published, the camera name changed to Mevo (initially it was Movi). Links have been updated in this article. They also announced Facebook Live integration. See my full review here
I’m always looking for technology solutions that will help smaller churches. I’ve been trying to find a cheap robotic camera solution or multi-cam solution for our church, but I haven’t found anything that fits our budget. Livestream has just introduced a new camera that I think will work well for smaller ministries and churches. Mevo is a new 4k video camera that is controlled by an iPhone or iPad.
It has a couple of unique features that set it apart from anything else on the market.
- Since it has a high 4k resolution camera sensor, you can zoom in and still have high resolution video. Movi analyzes what you are recording and gives you the option to zoom in to different parts of the screen. In effect, it gives the appearance of a multi-camera setup with only one small camera. It records in 720p
- It also does face and motion tracking, so if it is zoomed on an individual, the video will follow that person as they move around. This is perfect for pastors who walk around during their sermons.
- It is controlled by an iPhone or iPad. You can watch the video below to see how this works.
- You can record directly on the microSD card or on the iOS device.
- You can also use this as to livestream your event. It appears that there will be a monthly charge to unlock this feature, starting at $9 per month.
- Did I mention it’s small
And finally, you can preorder it now at only $199, which is $200 off of the price of $399 when it is released. Check out the Mevo site for more details. I’ve already got one on preorder and I am excited to try it out.