At our First Wednesday Service at Cornerstone last night, Sam shared about Christian leadership. He shared some examples from a blog post by Tony Morgan. I also talked about the importance of leadership development this past Sunday. But you cannot talk about Christian leadership without talking about the character and integrity of the leader. We all have influence, how are we going to use it? Check out these passages that Sam shared last night.
Leadership is less about the words or actions of the leader and more about the character of the leader.
That’s the conclusion I’ve reached after revisiting what the Bible has to say about leadership within the Church. For example, we can look at a handful of passages and come to this “job description” for leaders:
- Encourage others. (Romans 14:19)
- Set an example with your speech, life and faith. (I Timothy 4:12)
- Remain pure. (I Timothy 4:12)
- Embrace humility and gentleness. (Ephesians 4:2)
- Promote peace and unity. (Ephesians 4:3)
- Avoid arguments and quarreling. (2 Timothy 2:24)
- Gently instruct others. (2 Timothy 2:25)
- Maintain emotional control. (Titus 2:6)
- Demonstrate integrity in your actions and speech. (Titus 2:7-8)
- Live your life above reproach. (I Timothy 3:2)