I read these over at History in the Making. These just don’t apply to a church plant, they apply to any church. I think we can all relate to this list. Here it is.
- Talk about how much you love your church because it’s so small and personable.
- If your church doesn’t have a particular ministry, start attending it at another church, rather than starting one where you are.
- Don’t forgive anyone for hurting you or offending you.
- Instead of telling the pastor about your frustrations, hold out in silence as long as you can, getting angrier and angrier until you can finally leave in one, unforseen blaze of flaming glory.
- Go to church for what you get out of it.
- Don’t invite anyone.
- Forget faith ~ that’s the pastor’s job. Sit back and wait to see what happens, rather than becoming personally invested.
- Use “prayer” as a conversational piece rather than a spiritual discipline (as in: “I’ll be praying for you,” or “Let me pray about that.”)
- Do frequent “polling” in hallway conversations to see if other people have the same concerns about the church as you.
- Meditate on how wonderful the church would be if it weren’t for the pastor.